Methods of Transportation
Dakota Granite™ is centrally located in the northern tier of the United States. Our headquarters are located 6 miles east of Milbank, South Dakota near its border with Minnesota. Dakota Granite has been quarrying Dakota Mahogany™ granite since 1925 for use in memorials and commercial projects around the globe.
The original, the only, Dakota Mahogany™ blocks have been shipped to fabrication facilities all across North America and around the world.
Choose the real Dakota Mahogany™ for your next commercial fabrication project.
METHODS OF TRANSPORTATION OF GRANITE BLOCKS FROM OUR QUARRIES ARE:
1. Flatbed truck
- 46,000 lbs estimated capacity
- single block truck loads - 200 F3 (5.6 m3) maximum
- two or more block truck loads - 183 F3 maximum
- 43,500 lbs estimated capacity, 200 F3 (5.6 m3) maximum
- Containers are stuffed at the quarry and transported via truck to the container yard in St. Paul, Minnesota. Blocks are then loaded aboard a train for shipment to the coast to be shipped via vessel.
- Estimated transport time of 6-8 weeks
- Container Stuffing Fee Applicable
- 200,000 lbs estimated capacity, 850-875 f3 (24 m3) maximum
- Gondolas are railed to eastern rail sites or Norfolk Port. At the port, blocks are placed into
containers and loaded onto an ocean vessel. Shipment times vary depending on booking
- Ocean going containers can be loaded up to 60,000 lbs when transported to port by railcar.
Estimated weight of granite blocks can vary because of shape and agreed upon measurements.
TO ESTIMATE WEIGHT CALCULATE:
When sawn to size with packaging for transport: f3 = 190 lbs or m3 = 3.36 tons
Rough block size: f3= 220lbs or m3 = 3.88 tons